Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Living in a foreign country is a humbling experience

I am embarrassed to say that after three weeks in the office, I just learned how to flush the toilet today. (This is not to say that I didn't flush before, I just used the more traditional method which involves a bucket of water and a large cup.) I looked everywhere for the flush handle on my first day in the office but I couldn't find one. Plus, there was no water tank so I assumed the bucket was my only option. But over the last week or so, I happened to notice a loud flushing sound when others used the bathroom. I finally asked my coworker. She laughed a bit and then explained that I needed to look up--there is a small pull chain that comes out of a hole in the ceiling. Who knew?

2 comments:

Johanna said...

Hee. Good for you for asking - it would have taken me a while to do that!

Nicole said...

That's a helpful thing to discover!

What is the "cup and bucket" system?!